A chat with Gary Vaynerchuk: Everything Local Business

117 Flares 117 Flares ×

Vicky Lyashenko and Gary Vaynerchuk at Powell's Books in Portland, OR Gary's #jjjrh book signingI had the greatest honor to interview Gary Vaynerchuk this past week, but just a a few days before – I got to meet him in person! I am a huge fan of Gary’s (if you haven’t noticed ;)) and was super excited to have this amazing opportunity.

Gary wrote – by far – the most valuable book I have read to date. I have read many great books – but Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook has been eye opening and so easy to “get it” thanks to the 80+ case studies – in a visual format! (think screenshots!)

There is so much to learn in this book – I hope you go out and buy one from your local book store – or get a chance to win one from me by listening to the mp3 to the end – I’ll tell you what to do then ;)

You know that video is my thing – unfortunately, Gary was in between flights so we couldn’t do a video chat  - but this audio mp3 is so good! Listen Now!

2-Most small businesses are throwing Gary Vaynerchuk on Small Business Gal with Vicky Lyashenko

“Most small businesses are just throwing right hooks. That’s the problem.” <– click to tweet!

Did you enjoy this interview? Please let Gary and I know by clicking here!

If you want to win Gary’s new book – Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook – Please make sure to listen to the interview :)

I sincerely hope you enjoyed this interview and got something out of it – would love to hear your biggest takeaway in the comments below! Tell me!

117 Flares Twitter 22 Facebook 68 Google+ 19 Pin It Share 2 LinkedIn 6 Email -- 117 Flares ×

{ 39 comments… read them below or add one }

Emily December 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Thank you for the interview, Vicky! You did an excellent job and Gary’s ideas were creative. I am interested in getting new ideas for content, learning from the case studies and his perspective on all of the various social media networks out there.

Vicky December 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Emily! Thank you so much for your comment! Thank you for listening <3 The case studies are SO good and his perspective on doing business is unlike any other!

Carolyn December 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

My biggest takeaway was that I know this in my day-to-day business and forget in my coaching business. I work as a surgeon, and for sure if I went for the right hook every time I talked to a patient, I wouldn’t have very many patients. Instead, we spend a little time chatting about their jobs, or their holidays, or their families, or even what shoes they’re wearing. I forgot that I could do that with coaching!!

Vicky December 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Carolyn! Yes! Love it! You sure have one of the hardest jobs ever! So funny, it doesn’t even seem like a Jab – but whenever you bring value, fun, or even just hearing them outs – it’s all Jabs! Love it! Thank you so much for sharing!

Tony Marciante December 9, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Great interview Vicky!! He’s really on a roll lately, what a great opportunity to connect… Valuable insights here!

Vicky December 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Thank you so much for your support, and encouragement – I’m so lucky to call you friend! Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

Inna Olimpiyuk December 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I loved this interview, great jabs are going on here. While, I finished reading his book I can say I need to learn how to jab jab jab – in a right way to my community. Great work girl!

Vicky December 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Inna! Thank you so much my dear for stopping by! Awesome job on finishing his book! Isn’t it just AMAZING?! Ah! You know what – you are already jabbing the right way! There is always room for improvement – but just wanted to encourage you that you’re on the right path! The video you made of your beautifully decorated living room? That’s a jab!!! <3 Thank you so much for your support – you are a gem! <3

Inna Olimpiyuk December 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Awwww! Thank you Vicky for watching my video! I’m impressed! And of course I listened to your podcast the second it showed up in newsfeed. Actually, after I listened to you and Gary, I wentoto explore your site. Then signed up for email list, and your first video is a gem. I’m not listed anywhere and that’s a shame, I never knew about it. After being in business since 2010 im in shock, I still have to learn about tons of stuff. Thanks for awesome videos , can’t wait to get a new one today.

Vicky December 16, 2013 at 8:11 am

Inna, you are a sweetheart! You have no idea what your words mean to me! Thank you so much! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the video series! <3 Please let me know how I can further help you! You know where to reach me! xoxo

Tamara Young December 9, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hi, Great job, you sounded like a radio host! loved the twitter and snapchat questions. I hope to learn the JJJRH how to put a plan together with my social media for my shop. I have already taken a class on skillshare (for the book) and when i get my book (this week) i want to read and understand the psychology behind the social media platforms better.

Vicky December 10, 2013 at 12:40 am

Tamara, thank you so much for you comment and for being a big part of this! I love that we’re both Vayniaks ;) or whatever it’s called! ha ha! Girl – you will CRUSH it! I know it! You’re such a rockstar and know that you will do BIG things! Can’t wait to get on a call with you soon! xoxo

Loren P. December 9, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Hi! Great interview and thanks to Carolyn for sharing it on her fb page. I hope to get more unconventional type of tips like the “snapchat” example in the interview which was very unexpected. Thanks!!

Vicky December 10, 2013 at 12:41 am

Loren, thank you so much for taking your time and commenting! I appreciate you! It makes me so happy that enjoyed it! The book is amazing you will get that and more! <3 Thank you for stopping by!

Vicky December 20, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Loren! You won the book! I used random.org to generate a comment number and it was yours! Thank you so much for listening and commenting! Please check your email <3

Loren P. December 21, 2013 at 8:11 am

WOW! So amazing! I feel so lucky! Thank you so very much. I’m very excited and so grateful. It was a great interview and I’m glad I was introduced to your site. :)

Camila December 9, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Don’t know what the “jab jab” concept is, but I’m about to find out! Congrats on getting thsi interview Vicky!

Camila December 9, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Yep, he brought some great value here. As usual.
My answer to your question: Gary’s previous books are more like narratives (his business story) – this one sounds more technical. That’s exactly what I need. I would be using the techniques outlined in the book to create a repeatable social media strategy for my small business.

Vicky December 10, 2013 at 12:43 am

Camila, honey you are jabbing just like Gary is teaching! You got this! I definitely think the book will help you take it way beyond! You are an amazing person with a big heart – this book is perfect for you! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment! it means so so much! xoxo

Candys December 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Wow! Big thanks to you and Gary! I’m so happy to hear that more people are realizing this concept of building relationships, and Gary did such a good job at making the concept easy to understand. I love hearing your questions, and your beautiful personality shines through everything you do! Well done Vicky!

Vicky December 10, 2013 at 12:44 am

Candys! Thank you so much for stopping by, dear friend! I appreciate you and your kind words! I’m so happy you enjoyed it and learned something new! Thank you!

Danette December 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Hi! Great interview! I was looking around trying to decide if this was a good book to buy. Well, you should sold me! Wow, I loved the questions you asked, I loved the analogy on Twitter about the nail salon. Why did I not think of this before?? Oh yeah, looking in all the wrong places! Loved it. I am going to take a look around your site now. Great work!

Vicky December 10, 2013 at 12:46 am

Hi Danette!

It’s so good to hear that – it makes me so happy! Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words and am so glad I sold you on the book! Its really amazing! Thank you so much for stoping by and leaving a comment! <3 xoxo

Jay S December 10, 2013 at 1:01 am

Super duper awesome Vicky!!!

Vicky December 10, 2013 at 1:13 am

Thank you so much Jay! Thank you for stoping by! I appreciate it!

Natasha December 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Great job, Vicky! What an achievement to have Garry say yes to you. Speaks highly of you and how giving you are with people you love and respect! I can personally attest to that! So, thank you for being you!

As for Garry’s book, sooo excited to read it!! Garry is a true visionary and this book, from what I gather, takes us into the new era of social media. The techniques Garry describes are something that will be a no-brainer in a year or two. But for now, they are not as apparent to the most of us.

And that’s what I’d really love to learn! How to use social media to show my audience that I care about them; how to strike the right balance between giving and asking; how to pick the right social media platforms for different messages; how to choose formats depending on the social media platforms. In other words, how to use social media to be of service rather than see it as a megaphone of what I’m doing.

Congratulations once again!

Much-much love to you!

Vicky December 12, 2013 at 3:39 am

Natasha,

Thank you so much for your comment and kind words! <3 I appreciate you so much! <3 thank you so much for taking your time – much much love right back at you! <3

xoxo

Shurky Jurky December 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Score — goldmine! Thank you!

Vicky December 12, 2013 at 3:18 am

Thanks so much!

Nica Mandigma December 11, 2013 at 4:09 am

Love the interview! To be honest, it’s the first interview of Gary that I listened to for this book (there’s been a lot!). I figured that you’ll keep it meaty and short and you did!

Now, what would I like to learn from Gary’s book. It’s going to be particular — how can I help my client who is a dressmaker sell more of her dresses. She’s used to doing things for so long and it feels to me that all her posts on her Facebook page are right hooks. There’s no jabs. But I was able to make some jabs on her behalf and the response from her community is amazing.

The problem is how to take that response and turn it on meaningful conversations. She thinks no one who responded will buy from her. That they’re all just commenting. It’s just sad because she is missing an opportunity to engage. I am hoping that by reading Gary’s book, I can get ideas on how to help her feel more comfortable about making jabs and forget about right hooks.

Vicky December 12, 2013 at 3:42 am

Thank you so much for your comment, Nica! Love what you’re hoping to learn from the book! Thank you for stopping by and listening! <3

Benny December 12, 2013 at 5:12 am

Just wanted to leave a comment and say that you sounded great! That’s all. :)

Vicky December 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Thank you so much Benny!! You are so kind! I think I have a long ways to go to be a great interviewer – but I gotta start somewhere, right?! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Mike December 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Hi there! I really hope to learn more about jabs. It’s so common to swing the right hook but I need to hear more about creative ways to build that rapport socially. Loved the Snap Chat coupon idea. That’s a great tip.

Vicky December 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hey Mike! Thanks so much for stopping by! I loved the snap chat idea too! But you already know that! ha ha! Thanks you so much for you comment! Talk soon!

Hengam December 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm

LOVED this interview! I would love to learn more about how other businesses are serving and reaching to their communities. The Desperate Housewives example was brilliant :P

Vicky Lyashenko February 2, 2014 at 7:58 am

Hengam! Thanks so much for stopping by! So glad you enjoyed the interview! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help and yes – LOVE the Desperate Housewives nugget – I just wish more businesses were open to that! Thank you again!

katrinah January 12, 2014 at 2:39 am

Absolutely wonderful interview! Thank you Vicky and Gary. Love Gary’s analogy: jab jab jab right hook + “doing things early when things don’t make sense”. Snapchat coupons are brilliant. Thank youuuu. P.S. Vicky, would love to subscribe to your podcast on iTunes. Are you posting there? : )

Vicky Lyashenko February 2, 2014 at 7:52 am

Thank you so much, Katrinah! Glad you enjoyed the interview! I don’t have a podcast YET – will let you know when I do because it’s definitely in the works ;) Thank you so much for stopping by! xo